Do you feel your contact with your bestie has now been limited to tagging each other in online memes or sharing memories on Facebook or an occasional update or good news call? Then here is a chance to create your own ‘Zindagi na milegi dobara’ moment with your friends for life. Let your adulting ‘to do’ for this weekend go for a toss as you take yourself along with your friends for a long pending and a well-deserved holiday.
According to a recent study by Booking.com, 73% Indian travellers plan to take more weekend trips in 2019. So let this be one of your much needed, long coming weekend getaway!
Too last minute to plan anything? Don’t worry, Booking.com has got you covered, here is a list of getaways you can book yourself last minute, with minimum hole in your pocket. So what are you waiting for? Pick a place and post a message on that dead WhatsApp group and block their calendars already!
Here’s a list of some of the best weekend getaways curated by Booking.com for travellers from Delhi to recuperate and relax with their best friends:
A small town located in the state of Himachal Pradesh, is a popular destination for adventure sports like paragliding. It is considered one of the best spots in the world for the sport. The town also hosts the World Paragliding Championship every year. It has a large settlement of Tibetan communities and hence their culture is highly influenced by the Tibetan culture. Bir is further recognised as a place for meditation as the town is an important centre for spiritual studies. Deer Park and Bir Tea factory are must visit places when in town.
- Distance from Delhi: 518 kms
- Activities to do: Paragliding, Sightseeing, Meditation
- Where to stay: Zostel Bir, is at one of the best rated locations in Bir. The property offers a very upbeat and quirky interiors to its guests. Lot of activities and games can be enjoyed indoors as well as outdoors. The nearest airport is Kangra Airport, 66 kms from the property.
Also known as the quieter Shimla, this little hill station is tucked away at 7700 feet. Mashobra is a great destination to have a low-key, relaxing and peaceful weekend. This place is perfect for nature lovers, with spots like Craignano Nature Park and Reserve Forest Sanctuary, which is Asia’s largest watershed. The Sanctuary is also good for treks and camping, so pack your camping gears along. Some bird species you may encounter include pheasants, chikors and partridges.
- Distance from Delhi: 353 kms
- Activities to do: Trekking, Nature trail, Bird watching
- Where to stay: Wildflower Hall Shimla was once the residence of Lord Kitchener of Khartoum. It was developed by the Himachal Pradesh Government and Oberoi Group after it burned down in 1993. This property has indoor as well as outdoor pools, spas and a fitness centre. You can get to the hotel by road in approximately 1.5 hours from Shimla airport. Pick-up and drops can also be arranged – with an additional fee – from Chandigarh Airport/Railway Station.
One of the most beautiful tourist destinations in the country, nestled between the Kumaon Hills. Nainital also called the ‘City of Lakes’ is known for its snow-capped mountains and tranquil lakes. A paradise for nature lovers, the city has something for every tourist ranging from food, adventure to shopping. Its Naini Lake flows through the middle of the city, and is a popular spot for boating. Other lakes you can visit include Sariyatal Lake, Bhimtal Lake, and Khurpatal Lake. The hilltops that offer the best sight of the city include Naina Peak, Tiffin Top, and Snow View Point, all are a very popular tourist spots.
- Distance from Delhi: 337 kms
- Activities to do: Sightseeing, Boating, Trekking, Cycling, Hiking
- Where to stay: Rill And River Camp, offer luxury tent accommodations with a view. One can enjoy campfires and barbecue nights outside the tents. Both bicycle and car rental services are available at the camp, cycling and hiking can be enjoyed in the vicinity.
Situated on the foothills of Himalayas, Rishikesh is a perfect balance of inner peace and adventure. A hub to many ancient temples and yoga ashrams, the place offers a soulful spiritual experience and hence is identified as one of the top spiritual destinations in the world. Popular spot for adventure sports like bungee jumping, mountain biking, flying fox and river rafting, Rishikesh has every element to get your adrenaline pumping. Home to a lot of ashrams, spirituality, Yoga, Ayurveda and meditation are taught here. Lakshman Jhula and Neelkantha Mahadeva temple are some of the popular sites to visit.
- Distance from Delhi: 267 kms
- Activities to do: Rafting, Bungee jumping, Mountain biking, Flying Fox, Trekking, Meditation
- Where to stay: A beachfront property, ALOHA – THE GANGA BLISS, offers an outdoor pool with the view of the mountains and the river. It is less than 1 km from Patanjali International Yoga Foundation. Triveni Ghat is 5 km from the accommodation, while Lakshman Jhula is 7 km from the property.
Apple orchards, old oaks, pine trees and snow clad mountains make up this beautiful hill station. Auli is popular for the skiing experience that it offers. Apart from skiing, one can explore treks in the hills of Garhwal Himalayas and enjoy the magnificent view of the sun shining on the white of the ice. Located 2800 meters above sea levels, it houses Nanda Devi, Mana Parvat and Kamat Kamet mountain ranges.
- Distance from Delhi: 367 kms
- Activities to do: Skiing, Trekking
- Where to stay: Ski & Snow Cliff Top Club Holiday Resort, is located at Joshimath, 3kms from Auli. Nestled in snow, the soft and warm interiors of the place are aimed to provide a homely feeling to its visitors.
Located 10 kms from Shimla, Kufri offers some of the best panoramic views of the mountains, with spots like Naldhera, Chail, Narkanda and Mashobra for sightseeing. Kufri Fun World is one of the highest (above sea-level) amusement parks in the world. Enjoy go-karting in a snowy environment! You can also take a horseback ride to Mahasu Park or visit the Himalayan National Park and experience 180 unique species of flora and fauna.
- Distance from Delhi: 357 kms
- Activities to do: Trekking, Skiing, Horse-back riding, Go-karting
- Where to stay: Toshali Royal View is situated at the Golden Triangle, a tourist circuit connecting Delhi, Jaipur and Agra. This accommodation is 30 mins away by road from Kufri Chail and 4 hours away from Chandigarh Domestic Journey. Every room has a view of the snow-clad mountainous. Celebrate Christmas with royalty at Toshali Royal View.
If you are looking for short international getaways on a budget, here are some options you can explore:
Take a short escape from the chaotic city life and relax with your gang for a couple of days in some of the best international party destinations. Whether you are an adventure junkie or an alcohol lover or a party animal, there are some great options for you to choose from. To list a few,
This beach destination has the best of street, city and party life. Ranging from mouth-watering local street food to the fanciest bars and clubs. Bangkok is the break you need to let go and relax with your buddies and wash off that city stress with a relaxing spa and foot massage.
Its idyllic beaches, friendly locals and vibrant culture have made Bali a bucket list destination with travelers across the world. Whether you are headed there for its abundant natural splendor with your best friend, to take in the surf vibe or to indulge in the fantastic dining scene – there is something to love for everyone.Also, did we mention that the Indian passport holders do not require a visa for Bali, in other words, there is a visa on arrival?
Negombo, Sri Lanka
With a steady improvement in tourist inflow to Sri Lanka post the terrorist attacks, there are some places worth exploring with your buddy. Negombo, a city on the west coast of Sri Lanka, will bring out the beach bum in you and your friend. With the remains of the 17th century Dutch Fort still standing, enjoy gallivanting in the are, try your hand at fishing, enjoy the local cuisine and do not miss a canal ride through the Hamilton canal!